April 09, 2009

The Issue of Lock Imperfection

Hello SL Fam!

Like many other Sisterlocks enthusiasts, I'm a part of the Lock-It-Up group. There was a certain topic that struck a chord with me...being unhappy with how Sls look. I think because we invest so much money, we may at times seek perfection in our locks, but like a poster so point-of-factly stated, there are no perfect locks. I waited many months and researched for a long time before I was 100% certain that this was the route I wanted my hair to take. The final step was for me to accept my hair no matter how it turned out, and to realize that no, it will not look like my favourite heads of hair on these blogs. Why is that? Because each head of sisterlocks is different and I'd be doing myself a disservice to become frustrated with my own hair if it didn't resemble someone else's.

This has absolutely nothing to do with unprofessional or shoddy work done by uncaring locticians. Your locs should be installed properly [according to your hair type] and your personal preference. If you get less than the quality service you deserve, yes, you should speak up, have it corrected and/or find a new loctician.But please, ladies...don't nitpick or stress out over your hair! Patience is key! I am a witness to the fact that locks change so quickly with each month, and the time you spend complaining and looking for hair issues, you could be enjoying and learning how your hair reacts during this lock journey.

So yeah, that's just my encouragement. At a little over 3 months, my locks are frizzy, bumpy and a few of them still experience slippage. Also, a handful of them have 'pockets' in them. And you know what? I LOVE MY HAIR.

How about we all just grow along with our hair...grow to accept how it looks now and how it will change in the future.

Below are close-up pics of my bumpy, frizzy, imperfect, wonderful sisterlocks.


3 comments:

  1. You are wise beyond your years, girl! Each loc on our heads MUST have US tuned-in to one another- LOL. Much love to ya'!

    Here's post wrote almost a year ago on loc envy and patience. http://esandb.blogspot.com/2008/07/whats-are-your-locked-ends-like.html

    BTW... you ARE ROCKIN' YOUR SLs. They look soooooo healthy -BEAUTIFUL! Keep up the good work. You skin is lookin' wonderful too! Gotta LOVE those SL'd hair SIDE EFFECTS... it's ALL GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoken so well, so wise!!! Thanks for encouraging me as well. I am two months into my sisterlock journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right about accepting your locks for what they are. I have watched the locks of so many of my favorite bloggers develop over time. I know that my journey will be different because it is just that, my journey. It is important to remember that being locked myself for only 5 weeks. I am enjoying every moment of the process as this will only happen one time

    ReplyDelete